Labour Day has come and gone and fall is just around the corner. Although summer is technically not over yet, the chill that settled in the air and the already noticeable shorter days would beg to differ. The trees are still wearing their summer foliage and vibrant greens, but soon the leaves will change to warmer shades and the Canada Geese will inevitably fly South. The over-sized, itchy sweaters will come out from their short-lived vacations and we’ll all settle around a different kind of fire with our comfort foods, specialty beverages and fuzzy socks to keep our bellies and our toes warm.
The advertisements for fall treats are everywhere, begging us to try their decadent sweets and luscious liquid temptations. The slutty pumpkin, as always, captivates our eyes with her curves and autumn scent. Then, of course, comes the promise of electric caffeine and scrumptious chocolate. The threesome gives an experience like no other to taste buds that beg to be embraced by the smooth, warm, and calorie-packed potion.
- 2 1/4 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of all spice
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cups of soft butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of canned pumpkin pie filling
- 3/4 cups of coffee flavoured chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and all spice
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients in the large bowl
- Mix the pumpkin pie filling and blend well
- Mix the chocolate chips and blend well
- Drop tablespoons of dough onto ungreased baking sheet
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes
These cookies go very well with vanilla icing, ice cream, or even a meringue!