In an attempt to help curb my cravings of sugary foods, my SO purchased fancy dessert tasting protein powder thinking that I could make some shakes and smoothies instead of eating a whole cake. However, I discovered that I am not a huge fan of protein shakes or smoothies and now I am left with a bottle of Fresh Cinnamon Roll protein shake powder that will expire eventually. Since it costs money and money is not something I can afford to throw in the garbage, I decided to try to incorporate the powder in some of my baking. It’s been an unsuccessful journey until today.
I was craving French Toasts so I went to the kitchen to gather my ingredients when the red bottle of protein powder stared at me with its non-existent eyeballs. I immediately thought about cinnamon rolls and how t it would be delicious right about now. I remembered trying to make cinnamon roll French toast using protein powder a while back and how it had failed miserably.
A few seconds later, I yelled, “Sticks! I can make sticks!” My cat looked at me as if I was crazy for talking to myself again and I proceeded to bake because, fuck that judgmental cat of mine. Now, to clarify the sticks thought, the last time I tried this batter the toasts ended up burnt in some areas and uncooked in others. It was a disaster. I thought this time if I’d cut the bread in sticks instead and cook on low heat.
I regret nothing!
- 1/2 scoop of cinnamon roll protein shake powder
- 1/2 cup of 1% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 sliced pieces of bread, cut in 4 sticks each (I used whole wheat bread)
- In a medium bowl, add the protein powder and cinnamon and blend together.
- Add 1 egg and beat together until blended.
- Add 1/4 cup of milk and beat until blended.
- Add the second egg and beat until blended.
- Add the rest of your milk and beat until blended.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large pan.
- Dip bread sticks into the batter, coating thoroughly.
- Cook until well-browned on both sides (about 6 minutes, each side. The bread should not be soggy.)
Serve with your favourite toppings such as maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, fresh fruits, etc or you can even make a cinnamon roll frosting and enjoy a protein packed delight!
Store the sticks in an airtight container in the fridge and pop them in the toaster to warm them up and get the crisp you are looking for at any time!