This pumpkin spice buttercream frosting was made to pair with the molasses cake.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (or salted butter)
- 3-4 cups of icing sugar (also known as confectioners’ sugar and powdered sugar)
- 1/4 tsp salt (DO NOT add salt if you are using salted butter)
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- up to 4 tbsp of milk or heavy cream (I used 1% milk)
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp of pumpkin spice (depending on taste)
- Beat the butter until smooth.
- Add 3 cups of icing sugar and combine.
- Add the vanilla, salt (if using salted butter do not add salt), and 2 tbsp of milk or cream.
- Add pumpkin spice and combine.
If the icing is too thick, add milk.
If the icing is too thin, add icing sugar.