When it comes to food, I like to eat just about anything at any given moment. Ice cream on a cold Winter day or hot soup on a hot Summer day are no strangers to me. I will definitely consume hot coffee in the Summer rather than going for a more refreshing beverage so I guess that makes me a weirdo or maybe some kind of masochist… Regardless, I like food and I rebel against the weather! I have been craving Fall like tastes lately such as pumpkin spice and molasses so I decided to make a molasses cake with pumpkin spice buttercream icing despite the time of year; Spring.
Molasses Cake Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup hot water
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg. Add yogurt, molasses and hot water and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mix to the wet mix and beat until combined.
- Pour into greased 9×9 pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (or salted butter)
- 3-4 cups of icing sugar (also known as confectioners’ sugar and powdered sugar)
- 1/4 tsp salt (DO NOT add salt if you are using salted butter)
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- up to 4 tbsp of milk or heavy cream (I used 1% milk)
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp of pumpkin spice (depending on taste)
- Beat the butter until smooth.
- Add 3 cups of icing sugar and combine.
- Add the vanilla, salt (if using salted butter do not add salt), and 2 tbsp of milk or cream.
- Add pumpkin spice and combine.
If the icing is too thick, add milk.
If the icing is too thin, add icing sugar.