Greek yogurt is my new favourite ingredient to bake with! I found a Skinny Chocolate Cake recipe a few weeks ago which I loved because of the use of Greek yogurt but disliked because of the use of white granulated sugar. I decided to switch the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour and the granulated sugar for real honey. The result was fantastic! I cannot get enough of this cake! I also found a Maple Syrup Frosting recipe to pair the cake with. Both recipes were altered. The cake ends up being thin but extremely moist and very rich in taste. Definitely a treat for your cheating days hence why I called it “Guilt-Free Chocolate Cake!”
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup natural brown sugar
- 1/3 cup real honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I use plain but vanilla also works)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (skip this step for less sugar and fat content)
- Preheat oven at 350° F, grease 8×8 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cocoa.
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, egg, yogurt, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir.
- Spread batter into greased pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (mine only takes 19 minutes). DO NOT OVER BAKE!
Maple Syrup Frosting:
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1 pinch of flaky sea salt
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks, set aside.
- Bring maple syrup to a boil.
- Add a pinch of flaky sea salt.
- Slowly add the syrup to the egg whites. Beat until smooth. If the mixture is runny, beat until stiff peak again.
Let the cake completely cool down before adding the frosting. My frosting turned out more like a maple mousse which is delightful!
Delicious fruits to pair the cake with instead of the frosting: Mangoes, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, pineapples, bananas and apples.
Happy guilt-free eating!!