We’ve had a long, cold winter here in Ottawa this year and as much as I like winter, I am seriously over it now!
I’m excited for beaches, tan lines and flip-flops!
I miss sleeping under the moonlight (being poetic here, I sleep in a fucking tent), waking up to a calm morning fog on the river and the smell of bacon
cooking over a fire. I dream of long, hot summer nights by bonfires, drinking (hot chocolate for me) and eating s’mores… S’more S’mores please! It’s one of those treats that I go crazy over.
While I reminisced on my camping adventures, I started thinking about pre-made S’mores to bring on road trips or even just to eat at home because I’m unhealthy like that. One thought led to another and I decided to try to make S’mores cupcakes. Because hey, how hard can it be…
For this recipe you will need:
- Graham cracker crust (I got mine at Bulkbarn which is the Graham Cracker Crust mix, added butter as per the directions and good to go. You may want to get a pre-made crust or look up a recipe to make one with graham cracker cookies.)
- Guilt-Free Chocolate Cake or a box of chocolate cake mix of your choice.
- Small marshmallows
- I used parchment paper as cupcake liners instead. (I thought it would be all fancy and shit.) I then added two teaspoons of graham cracker crust. (Press down on the crust)
- Next, I wasn’t too sure what would work best so I went 50/50 with the following:
- I then poured the chocolate batter on top.
- I followed the same directions as the Guilt-Free Chocolate Cake for baking time and oven temperature.
- When there was about 3 minutes left on cooking time, I took the cupcakes out of the oven to add some marshmallows on top of the 6 that didn’t have any inside.
- As you can tell, those with marshmallows inside looked good. Until they flattened and I realized they were empty inside. Oops… I added some marshmallows on top of the other 6 and put the pan back in the oven for about 3 minutes.
And the final result
I will certainly make this recipe again but will not put marshmallows inside. As for the 3 small marshmallows on top, I think I will go for a big marshmallow cut in half to make more of an icing look. Otherwise, it does taste like S’mores and it’s delicious. Perhaps not as delicious as the real thing but that’ll happen soon enough!